Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The YOUNGBLOODS- Darkness, Darkness

More fun, eclectic and with better songwriting than many of their west coast hippy contemporaries, I really like The Youngbloods. 'Darkness, Darkness', along with 'Sugar Babe' (a great song about drinking featuring the immortal lines, "Run like your mamma when the police come" and "I got drunk and I fell on the floor") are my two favourite songs of theirs. I was first hipped to The Youngbloods by Jon Savage's inspirational psychedelic booklet that came free with an early Mojo and which sent the school-age me scurrying after all kinds of mind expanding pop nuggets that I would never otherwise have heard of.
'Darkness, Darkness' is a beautiful track featuring one of the very best west coast rock guitar solos, and it wouldn't have sounded out of place on the Kak LP (also introduced to me by Mr Savage). I had always assumed it was an LP only song so was very pleasantly surprised to find this single, sporting an appropriately psychedelic RCA company sleeve.
The YOUNGBLOODS- Darkness, Darkness

No comments: