Wednesday, December 2, 2009

DINAH LEE- I'm Walkin'/Who Stole The Sugar?

Dinah Lee may not have been as punk as Toni McCann but she did make some great gutsy and soulful beat records. Dinah (Diane Jacobs before the record company decided Dinah Lee was cooler) was part of the exciting early '60s scene in Christchurch, New Zealand that also threw up Max Merritt, Ray Columbus and Dave Miller, and she was also apparently responsible for bringing the 'mod' look to the behind-the-times antipodeans.
This 1964 single was her third release in Australia, though she'd already had an album and a couple more singles in NZ where she was already a sensation. Raucously backed by The Kavaliers (originally Samoan rock'n'roller Freddy Keil's group) Dinah blasts through a fine cover of Fats Domino's "I'm Walking" much in the style of early Lulu (who seems to have been the big influence on all the Antipodean beat girls- more of which in a future blog). The B-side "Who Stole The Sugar" is a slower but still raw bluesy ballad with merseybeat harmonies, I could have sworn this was a cover but can't find any evidence for this, or for that matter any mention of the listed songwriter Wayne Healy. Anyone know who he was?
DINAH LEE- I'm Walkin'
DINAH LEE- Who Stole The Sugar?
The youtube clip below includes some fab contemporary footage:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is the sugar ?
can't download it !
just going round and back again to drivshare !!

please upload it again

Christopher Fast said...

Yes, I'm afraid divshare has messed up and lost lots of my files (seems to have happened for lots of others too). Unfortunately I'm sans Internet in my house just now, but rest assured as soon as I get that sorted out I'll repost the tunes, cheers.