Monday, December 21, 2009

MO-DETTES- White Mice


Following my twisted record collector logic, I've bought two copies of this single since arriving in Australia, despite already having a copy (possibly two) back in Scotland. In my defence they were cheap and 'White Mice' is a really great song; landing in that midway point between new wave pop and post punk skronk that's perfect to dance to, and one that I always have in my DJ box. I hadn't seen the second issue with the 'fish and chips' photo and thought it might be a different version, but it turns out to be the same with only a different B-side (I've no idea why it was reissued).
I believe that singer Romana Carlier had actually been the front woman (under the name Regula Sing) for Swiss band Kleenex, 'White Mice' certainly has a very similar sound to the amazing Kleenex singles, can anyone confirm this to be true?  (edit: Robin Wills of the wonderful Purepop blog, has vouched that Romana Carlier was definitley NOT in Kleenex).
Unfortunately the rest of Mo-dettes output really doesn't match 'White Mice', but their one LP is still well worth tracking down.
MO-DETTES- White Mice

And do make sure you check out this really cool video:

5 comments:

CROOPER said...

Oh man, if you find another copy, let me know. You don't need three copies!

Christopher Fast said...

Sure thing Crooper, another copy would not bode well for my sanity!

Christopher Fast said...

Crooper,
if you're still after a copy of White Mice there's 2 copies in Record Paradise, 100 Chapel Street (bizarrely one of each of the covers shown above, and no they weren't mine!)

Robin Wills said...

Hi Ramona (Raymonde Carlier) had nothing to do with Kleenez. She was from Geneva an NOT Zurich. I introduced her to the other band members...
Robin

Christopher Fast said...

Thanks Robin, nice to have that cleared up.