Wednesday, December 16, 2009

SUNNY and the SUNGLOWS- Talk To Me/SUNNY and the SUNLINERS- Every Week, Every Month, Every Year

Found this in the cheap 7" rack at the second hand record music store Collector's Corner, though certainly not the best shop in Melbourne, it's alright considering it sits in the middle of one of the busiest shopping streets in the city, and I've had a few interesting records from them.
I knew nothing about Sunny and his band(s) (there's a different name on each side), but the Tear Drop label design really appealed to me and I knew the Crazy Cajun publishing credit meant some Huey P Meaux involvement; a man who's production skills are, I always felt, totally undervalued. 'He's About A Mover" by Sir Douglas Quintet, "Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out)" by the Hombres, 'You'll Lose A Good Thing' by Barbara Lynn being three classics that spring to mind. But having now done a little research on the 'colourful' history of the 'Bayou bad boy' there is probably good reason for his under appreciation today: very young girls, dodgy business deals, guns and drugs were all apparently par of the course for Heuy (if anyone knows of a good biography please let me know).
It turns out that Tear Drop was in fact one of Meaux's many record labels and 'Talk To Me' the biggest hit on it. Not sure if Heuy was the producer (there's no credit on the label) but it's a fantastic record. 'Talk To Me', the plug side, is a sumptuous ballad that makes the most of Sunny Ozuna's great voice and some luscious strings, the B side on the other hand, is an ace up-tempo soul number with hints of Tejano music and all night parties. Sunny and his mixed race band were apparently the first to break the colour barrier on the popular TV show American Bandstand playing 'Talk To Me', so this is a little slice of history as well as great record.
SUNNY and the SUNGLOWS- Talk To Me
SUNNY and the SUNLINERS- Every Week, Every Month, Every Year

4 comments:

Joe Whimster said...

Fit Like?

Just been yapping to Lenny Helsing tonight and it looks like we're claiming a couple more classics into the Scottish Beat back catalogue. The Voice of Train to Disaster fame were 50% Scottish, including the main songwriting team, who also backed Ian Hunter on The Scenery "hit" Thread of Time. Two more monsters for the McNugget playlist!

I'm still holding off on my mix, been waiting on my copy of Tic Toc for ages now...

Have a good Christmas, it's a blizzard here now. Grim.

Christopher Fast said...

Hi Joe,
that's great yeah! Train To Disaster is ace, I've not heard the Scenery 7", what's it like? - I'm guessing that the Ian Hunter connection alone makes it another record that I can't afford!
Hope you get your copy of Tic Toc soon.
Chris
PS do you see many of those APB- Shoot You Down singles up your way? if you ever find an extra, I'm sure I've got something I could swap you, I love both sides of that record with a passion (strangely all the old Edinburgh punks seem to hate them, but maybe they only heard the later stuff)- did you see them when they reformed recently?

Joe Whimster said...

The Scenery track is awesome, it's on a comp called Red With Purple Flashes. I've only seen it on ebay once and it went for well over £100. I'll dig it out and send you the ol divshare link.

I'll keep an eye out for Shoot You Down. Vinyl shopping in the Deen has become a bit of a struggle this year, The Cavern shut its doors and the second hand section of One Up is pretty dire.

Love that Modettes track.

Cheers

Joe Whimster said...

How's that for service...

http://northeastbeast.blogspot.com/2009/12/scenery-thread-of-time.html