Wednesday, November 4, 2009

ROGER THWAITES- Age Of Time

This is the sort of thing that almost makes all those hours flicking through records in charity shops worth while! At the very back of a pile of about 200 hundred assorted Perry Como, Bavarian drinking song, classical LPs and other assorted recorded crap, was this record. In fact, I nearly didn't pick it up as the rather cheap looking cover suggested easy listening or religious folk songs, but after a scan of the back revealed a 1971 release date (on the tiny Sydney record label Sound Unlimited), no cover versions, no mention of God, and that the various musicians included 3 guitarists and a pedal steel/dobro I took the plunge.
So what did I get for my $3? Well, from the first song on, a surprisingly good LP which appears almost as if it had been produced with my specific tastes in mind! The vocals are mostly big and booming with plenty of echo, the songs are great, the lyrics interesting (mostly about the Australian outback and people), the backing a peculiar mix of folk, early rock'n'roll, psychedelia, country and pop, with some songs featuring scorching acid guitar and studio effects. The closest reference point would be Lee Hazlewood's solo LPs, which happen to be among my favourites, and if Mr Thwaites hadn't heard Lee (did his solo records get released in Australia?) then he surely must have been a fan of Elvis and Johnny Cash. Any complaints? Well, he's not as good as Lee Hazlewood at his best (but who is?) and I could have done without the prominent flute on a couple of tracks, but mostly this is a great, magical record.
The internet doesn't turn up much information on Roger Thwaites. The sum of which is roughly: that he recorded at least four more equally rare LPs: '200 Years of Colonial Australia', 'North By Northwest', 'Bound For Glory' and 'Ladies Love Outlaws', that he and his father lived in the small ex-gold mining town south of Sydney and were both involved in recording the area's history, that according to the sleeve notes to '200 Years' (1970): "He numbers among the few Australians who have wiped the dust of such cities as as Ankara, Istanbul, Allepo, Damascus and Baghdad off his shoes," and that Roger is performing a musical history of sheep shearing at next years Canberra's agricultural show! All very intriguing, but perhaps it's time Roger Thwaites got a bit of recognition for 'Age Of Time', and someone got it reissued.
I've picked out two of my favourites below but, honestly the rest of the LP is just as good.
ROGER THWAITES- Dobro Dan
ROGER THWAITES- Gully Raker

3 comments:

Paul the Stockman said...

Re Lee Hazelwood. I bought "Trouble is a Lonesome Town" far too many years ago in Australia - very badly worn LP though.

foggy_notion said...

I got given Age of Time by a mate who knows I'm a record nut. He found it in the LP bin at a Salvos around Melbs. I can't thank him enough for this genuine obscure classic. It's a truly fabulous record and it's strange that there is no info on it whatsoever.
To me, this is as vital as any great 60's/70's psych-folk stuff (eg.Terry Reid/Dr Hooker/Loudon Wainwright etc..). Brilliant.

Great blog btw!

jarrodzlatic said...

Lee Hazlewood was released in Australia at the time, I have seen Music For Pleasure pressings of his first album, "Trouble is....", and I own an Australian pressing of "Cowboy in Sweden" (which I'm really surprised exists) I suppose we forget Lee Hazelwood was kind of a big deal once upon a time. This Roger Thwaite album is really amazing. I myself am trying to conduct a one man excavation of all these $1 Australian country opshop and bargain bin fodders. Seems truly like the truly last frontier in terms of music excavation. If you ever see the album "Shad" by Shadow Lyons, it is really moody and cool. Unfort most "good" country/country rock songs exist as single songs on albums filed with otherwise, too my ears, forgettable music. Lots o' "hard" work :-)