Sunday, November 8, 2009

GENE SIMMONS- Haunted House/Hey, Hey, Little Girl

So far I've only blogged about Australian based artists, but my criteria is simply that they should be records I've acquired here, so this one's an infectious double sider of Memphis rock'n'roll novelty pop that I scored at a Melbourne record fair.
Gene Simmons was a minor rockabilly singer who recorded for both Sun and Hi records, who's name was later borrowed by future Kiss man Chaim Witz. 'Haunted House', which must of sounded a little behind the times when it charted in 1964, was originally done by Johnny Fuller in 1958 and Gene first heard the song performed live by Sam the Sham, who also recorded a version at about the same time. All three versions are great but I think Simmon's is the best. The B-side, a Simmons/Ray Harris original, is also a real fun tune with upfront piano and a bit of a New Orleans feel.
GENE SIMMONS- Haunted House
GENE SIMMONS- Hey, Hey, Little Girl

No comments: