Sunday, November 1, 2009

The THROB- The Fortune Teller/Believe In Me

The Throb! What a great name for a band, narrowly losing out to New Zealand's Hi-Revving Tongues as my favourite 60s Antipodean band name. The Throb were another legendary Australian mid-60s group with a great live reputation, leather clad image, and one further classic single ('Black' also released in 1966).
Again this is a 7" I have lusted after for a years, ever since hearing 'Believe In Me' on a compilation (I think, one of the Digging For Gold series). Apparently this record is generally sought after for the "better than the stones" cover of 'Fortune Teller', which is pretty good, though I prefer the Tony Jackson version which is in a similar vein.
More to my taste is the band original, 'Believe In Me' and it turns out the late great Dean Mittelhauser agreed with me. Here's an extract from his indispensable oz beat fanzine, The Livin' End: "...every time I reach for this single, I instinctively play the B side. "Believe In Me" is real moody - Denny Burgess' sings totally unlike any other of the Throb's fab tracks and you'd be hard pushed to pick this as the Throb. It's an atmospheric mover with this fantastic muted fuzz throughout. But, except for a wyld mini-explosion about three-quarters of the way thru, it's kept on a tight leash (like my fat cocker spaniel!)..." 'nuff said.
THE THROB- The Fortune Teller
THE THROB- Believe In Me

7 comments:

CROOPER said...

this blog rules, mate. grabbed this and the master's apprentices single from here yesterday. have you seen any copies of the throb's "black" 7" around on the net?

also, let me know if you see copies of any of this stuff around melbourne!!

cheers, cooper.

Christopher Fast said...

Thanks cooper!
No I've not seen "Black" anywhere in Melbourne, but it's pretty sought after so I guess most of them go on ebay when they do turn up, I'll keep looking tho!
If you're just after an mp3 this link might still work: http://chocoreve.blogspot.com/2007/07/before-birdmen-flew-australian-beat-r_16.html

good luck

chris fast

Lucy said...

hey! brilliant blog! been searching myself for a couple weeks ever since first hearing 'believe in me' for recordings of the throb. cd stores and itunes obviously have failed me... any ideas?

Christopher Fast said...

hi!
thanks Lucy.
I'm not sure about the Throb I'm afraid, they only ever had those two 45s. But they've featured on lots of Australian 60s rock compilations, don't know which, if any, are in still print though...

Ozmuze said...

Christopher, I have only just found your blog while searching for information about Dean Mittelhauser.
From what I have seen here, I think you would enjoy the posts that appear at the Midoz Forum.

In case you aren't aware of it, the URL is:
http://midoztouch2.freeforums.net/

Come along and have a look!
Cheers,
Ozmuze
(Please don't post this comment on your blog.)

Bestpsychichealers said...

Thank you so much for your blog it was so nice to read and i must appreciate your effort to aware everyone.
Astrology Services in Toronto | Psychic Tarot Reader in Toronto | Fortune Teller in Canada | Astrology Center in Toronto

Astrologer Gurudev said...

Very Nice Blog!!!

Please have A Look At:

Best Astrologer in Toronto

Spiritual Healer in Toronto

Get Rid Of Black Magic Permanently

Psychic Reader in Toronto