Sunday, January 17, 2010

BILLY BLAND/GRANTLEY DEE- Let The Little Girl Dance


BILLY BLAND- Let The Little Girl Dance

Billy Bland's 'Let The Little Girl Dance' is an absolute classic RnB/pop crossover record.  Nice to get an original copy on Old Town, a really consistent label out of New York.
The story goes that Billy was in the studio when Titus Turner was recording this song and stepped in to show him how to sing it, little knowing producer Henry Glover had the tape rolling and that Bland's demonstration would end up a hit single.

GRANTLEY DEE- Let The Little Girl Dance

In 1966, six years after Bland, well known Melbourne DJ Grantley Dee released his own version of 'Let The Little Girl Dance' it was a minor local hit and a sought after record now.  The arrangement was kept pretty much the same for Dee's version (if it ain't broke...), except the parping sax is replaced by a nice raw guitar break, in fact it's a shame Bland's hadn't had more guitar considering the mighty Mickey Baker apparently played on the session.  
Dee was the first blind singing star in Australia, and you can witness a little of his charismatic DJing style in this great 60s doco about Melbourne radio.

Grantley Dee with trade mark black glasses.

3 comments:

YankeeBoy said...

I just discovered your blog purely by chance via Zamboni's fine blog. I haven't had a chance to download anything yet but I love your "all over the place" taste in music. It's kind of like my own. Having said that I think you would also enjoy my blog Time On My Hands (http://timeonmyhands-yb.blogspot.com/) as I too have a quite varied taste in music. Keep up the great tuneage.

Christopher Fast said...

Thanks YankeeBoy,
I've had a quick look at your site- the mixes look great! I'll have a good listen when my darn internet get's back up to full speed.
Do pop by here again,
Chris

lindsey said...

You have to be sure you know what kind of ammo that you need. There's more to buying ammo online than simply looking for the cheapest prices. Better be careful than sorry.
Ammo for Sale